Mr. and Mrs. A and Baby R

Mr. and Mrs. A and Baby R

Early in the morning on July 15, 2014 I received a text message saying Mrs. A had been having some early contractions starting at about 1am. It was now about 7am and as we spoke on the phone it was clear it was early pre labor and she was going to go in for her appointment with the midwife at 8am.

At the appointment they determined she was 2cm and soft and labor was imminent. She spent the rest of the day with her family as labor approached. At approximately 6:00pm I received a text from her husband that things were picking up speed and they were about 1 minute long and 3-4 minutes apart. I arrived at her house at 7:00pm and she was clearly in a labor pattern. We prayed and asked G-d to be with us and to be with baby as they traveled this path.

We agreed she would give it 30 more minutes at home before making a decision to go to the hospital. Each contraction brought powerful surges and she really surrendered through them, sinking deep into her hips and allowing each one to work.

At 7:45pm we were in the car headed to the hospital. Triage assessed her and the midwife arrived. She was a wonderful 4cm. She expressed feeling some discouragement and asking about an epidural. Mr. A and I chatted briefly about that and agreed we would dissuade her and she would be able to get in the bath and see how things went along.
The sweet nurse G-d gave us drew a warm bath and Mrs. A got in. Mr. A changed into his bathing suit wanting to join her in the bathroom. As he changed we were able to do some really great contractions in the bath. She was definitely relaxed in there and focused.

As the surges progressed in intensity and pattern she really focused more and more. She was very in tune with her body. Her husband joined her in the bathroom and her mom and I gave her some time alone with him. Her mom and I spoke while her and her husband spent time together alone. She had entered the room at about 9:30pm and spent the next 45 minutes in the bath with Mr. A.

When I went back in to check on her I could tell things had changed some. She was feeling warm and wanted to sit on the toilet for a few contractions. As she got out of the water there was some bloody show which showed signs that things were changing.

She did a few contractions on the toilet and seemed to be bearing down some. I gently told her to try not to push as it would make the cervix swell if she wasn’t ready. It seemed she couldn’t really help it. So, we asked if the nurse could do a check just to see where she was. I prepared her to not be discouraged if there wasn’t much change. I was praying there had been change and hopeful the signs of instinctual pushing meant so.

At the check she was 8cm. Amazing. 4cm to 8cm in under an hours’ time. Such incredible work. She had really opened up and let her body do what it was designed to do.

She decided to get back in the bath for a bit since she did such good work there. They were becoming more intense and taking more concentration at this point. She was in transition but you would never have guessed it. She was so calm, collected and centered on her body doing its job. It was inspiring.

As things progressed we ended up back on the toilet for a bit and then back to the bed. Gina had come and joined us and everyone was fully focused on helping her to reach the birth.

Gina gently broke her water hoping it would melt away her final bits of cervix and at 11:15pm she was on her way to pushing.

Some contractions brought pushing and others didn’t. She just followed her body. She wasn’t in a rush and baby was doing great. She gave in to each one. She had incredible support with her mom and sister and her husband was so precious as he met her needs and gave her quiet support. She was incredible.

The pushing contractions did great work. She did some on her bottom and then flipped to her hands and knees. After a few on her hands and knees and resting greatly in between she turned to her side. From here she was able to really get behind each contraction and bear down.

With each push she brought baby down further and further. By 12:13pm, with worship music playing in the background, we could really see the head peeking through.

At 12:16pm she gave a few small pushes and baby Baby R came rushing out and into his mommy’s arms. He had a nuchal cord around his neck but nothing to worry about and a cord around his body, again no cause for concern. Gina unwrapped him quickly without fuss and handed him to her. Daddy was able to see each moment of his son’s arrival and was overjoyed when he was finally placed into his mom’s arms. The look on his face was precious.

Mrs. A trusted the Lord, trusted her team, and most importantly trusted herself and her intuition. Her body did exactly what it was supposed to do. Early labor took time, preparing baby for labor and birth. She handled transition beautifully and without a hiccup. If she was doubting herself she never let on. She was a rock for her boy, breathing deep and really surrendering to bringing his life into the world.

I’m incredibly blessed to have witnessed their labor and delivery and feel even more blessed to know they followed the Lord’s will through each step.

Welcome to the World little guy. G-d has big plans for you!